Doulas in the News
- Mahoney, Mary. 2010. “The Doula Movement: Making the Radical a Reality by Trusting Pregnant Women.” RH Reality Check. Jauary 27. Available,
- Perez, Miriam. 2007. “On Being a Radical Doula.” Feministing Blog, February 20. Accessed 3/16/2012.
- Meltzer, Marisa. 2010. “What’s an Abortion Doula? They’re Strangers Who Will Hold Your Hand While you Go Under the Knife.” Slate.
- Miller, Kelsey. 2014. “Abortion Doulas: Inside the Movement.” Refinery29.
- Morin, Roc. 2014. “On Being an Abortion Doula. The Range of Emotions Involved in Helping Women Terminate Pregnancies.” The Atlantic.
- Ronan, Alex. 2014. “My Year As An Abortion Doula.” New York Magazine.
- White, Rachel R. 2011. “The Rise of the Abortion Doula.” Observer.
- Smith, S.E. 2016. “The Doula Project is Bringing Both Abortion and Birth Care to Low-Income Women in NYC.” XoJane.
- Tucker, Eleanor. 2014. “Death Doulas: Helping People Face Up to Dying. The Guardian.
Blogs and News Sources
- Rewire, a nonprofit daily online publication reporting on issues of sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice.
- Radical Doula, a blog and resource that focuses on the connections between social justice, birth activism, and doula care.
- The Midwife Is In, an advice column about health care, vaginas, pregnancy, sex, and so much more!
Academic Books and Articles
- Silliman, Jael. Fried, Marlene Gerber. Ross, Loretta. Gutiérrez, Elena R. 2004.
- Undivided Rights: Women of Color Organize for Reproductive Justice. Cambridge: South End Press.
- Pro: Reclaiming Abortion Rights by Katha Pollitt
- Birth Work as Care Work: Stories from Activist Birth Communities by Alana Apfel
- Ginsburg, Faye D. 1998. Contested Lives: The Abortion Debate in an American Community. University of California Press.
- Ross, Loretta. 2006. “The Color of Choice: White Supremacy and Reproductive Justice.” Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology. INCITE! Women of Color Against Violence. Massachusetts: South End Press. 53-65.
- Simonds, Wendy, Barbara Katz Rothman, and Bari Meltzer Norman. 2007. Laboring On: Birth in Transition in the United States. New York: Routledge.
- Conceiving the New World Order: The Global Politics of Reproduction. Faye D. Ginsburg and Rayna Rapp, eds. Berkeley: University of California Press.
Abortion Fact Sheets and Storytelling
More Information on Reproductive Justice
Related Organizations (These are just a few of the amazing groups out there!)